Areas of Practice
Areas of Practice
Our personal injury practice focuses on protecting the rights of persons seriously injured by the fault of others. We have a track record defined by determined effort and success, including many multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for injured persons. We handle vehicle and truck accidents and workplace injuries and have extensive experience with a wide variety of complex cases involving traumatic brain injury, wrongful death, serious burn injuries, and permanent physical disabilities. Contact us for a free consultation.
Our results include:
- Recovery of over $7 million in a workplace slip-and-fall case involving burn injuries;
- Recovery of over $4 million for a driver injured in a collision with a truck;
- A punitive damages jury verdict of $1.2 million for an accident caused by a drunk driver.
Business disputes are a central part of our practice. Our lawyers have broad experience litigating or resolving complex business and contract issues arising in Louisiana and across the country. Our lawyers’ experience includes:
- Working on a trial team that obtained a punitive damages jury verdict in a breach of contract/business tort case in excess of $200 million;
- Obtaining dismissal on summary judgment of a $13 million state court fraud/breach of contract claim in an offshore boat business dispute;
- Obtaining dismissal of a suit claiming fraud in the sale of a multi-million dollar commercial property in the French Quarter.
Our firm has broad experience in the fields of maritime and admiralty law. We have represented workers injured on vessels, platforms, rigs, and docks for many years, and we also defend companies who are sued on claims involving maritime-related injuries arising under the Jones Act or the general maritime law. We also have experience in cases involving contract disputes related to maritime commerce, maritime liens and vessel seizures, and shipyard construction, design, and repair issues. Our cases include:
- Recovery of over $2.5 million for crew boat passengers injured in a vessel collision;
- Successful defense and resolution of a suit against a vessel owner based on a Jones Act electrocution claim by a crew member;
- Post-trial recovery of $1.525 million for a deckhand injured in a vessel fire.
Mediation is a voluntary process where parties try to resolve a dispute outside of the courtroom, whether there is a lawsuit or not. A mediator is an experienced lawyer who does not represent any party, but acts as a “neutral” to help two or more parties reach a resolution to a dispute. Dewey Scandurro was trained as a mediator at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Caruso Law School, which has the top-ranked dispute resolution program in the country. Dewey has an active mediation practice that includes all types of disputes. He is one of only 15 New Orleans lawyers on the Civil Mediator Registry of the Louisiana State Bar Association.
The firm handles claims involving personal injuries or economic losses resulting from the sale or use of defective products. We have experience representing people injured by such products, as well as defending manufacturers of products that are claimed to have caused the injury. Our attorneys’ experience includes:
- Appointment to the defense steering committee on behalf of travel trailer manufacturer defendants in formaldehyde mass tort products liability litigation;
- Successful resolution of claims against heavy equipment manufacturer involving fatality due to alleged defective design;
- Recovery of $600,000 for a client who sustained a burn injury due to a defective space heater.
We represent purchasers, sellers, developers, banks, and property owners on a broad array of legal issues and claims relating to real estate and property rights. Our firm’s experience includes:
- Obtaining a judgment of $93 million for a class of property owners damaged by flooding caused by a state construction project;
- Representing a national bank on title disputes related to its Louisiana loan portfolio;
- Representing the developers of a multi-million dollar downtown New Orleans mixed-use commercial development.
We represent banks and bank customers on contractual and legal issues affecting them, including lender liability claims, account fraud claims, insurance claims, and foreclosures. Our experience includes:
- Obtaining the dismissal of a $3 million claim against a bank arising from a bookkeeper’s embezzlement of company checks;
- Obtaining the dismissal of a bank from a lawsuit alleging breach of contract arising from a multi-million dollar failed real estate development;
- Acting as borrower’s counsel in a $49 million vessel fleet financing transaction.
We have years of experience representing clients in disputes over professional services. We have handled cases for and against doctors, attorneys, architects, engineers, insurance agents and accountants involving claims of malpractice and negligence. Our lawyers’ experience includes:
- Recovering over $5 million from an accounting firm on claims involving breach of professional and fiduciary duties;
- Obtaining the dismissal of suits against law firms for malicious prosecution and abuse of process;
- Obtaining a jury verdict of over $700,000 against an insurance agent who failed to procure proper coverage for his customer.
The firm represents many participants in the energy industry including oilfield service companies, producers, refiners, contractors, suppliers, operators, and landowners. Our experience includes:
- Recovering millions of dollars of mineral-producing properties and unpaid royalties on behalf of Plaquemines Parish landowners;
- Preparing, recording and successfully prosecuting oilfield liens for unpaid contractors and suppliers;
- Negotiating and advising clients on mineral interests including leases, royalty and overriding royalty interests, and environmental issues.
The firm counsels and represents clients on employment law issues and disputes as a regular part of its practice. Our experience includes:
- Preparing employment agreements, including non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and enforcing and defending claims under them;
- Handling issues and claims for employees and employers with the EEOC and state and federal courts involving allegations of harassment, sex, race, age, and disability discrimination; wage payment disputes; and Family and Medical Leave Act disputes, among others.
- Defending Department of Labor investigations and claims related to employment relationships and activities.
We have diverse experience representing clients in trademark and copyright infringement cases. Our lawyers’ experience includes:
- Defeating an injunction claim brought by a business competitor claiming unfair use of a trademarked advertising slogan;
- Successfully enforcing a trademarked magazine title against an infringing user;
- Successfully defending and resolving claims against a vessel builder for copyright infringement of vessel design plans.
We regularly represent businesses and individuals in litigation against their insurers to obtain insurance coverage that has been disputed or denied, and in negotiations or disputes with insurance agents or insurers. Our experience includes:
- Analyzing and advising businesses and individuals on insurance policy coverages, exclusions, and limitations;
- Assisting clients, through negotiation or litigation, in identifying and presenting evidence necessary to establish insurance coverage;
- Representing a bank in litigation and negotiation with insurers arising from hurricane damage to properties.
We handle cases in many areas of the construction business when disputes arise, including both residential and commercial construction or design claims. Our clients include property owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and lenders. Our experience includes:
- Successfully defending contractors sued on claims of defective residential or commercial construction;
- Representing homeowners and business owners on claims against architects, engineers, and contractors relating to design and construction errors;
- Assisting contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers with the filing and enforcement of liens.
The firm provides advice on corporate, limited liability company and partnership formation and structure, along with related agreements and considerations. We also routinely draft and review contracts, calling on our extensive courtroom experience handling contract cases to help guide our clients on what works and what doesn’t.
The firm’s practice includes negotiation, dispute resolution and litigation of issues that arise between our clients and state and local government. Our experience includes handling expropriation claims on behalf of landowners and business owners; handling sales and use tax disputes on behalf of taxpayers; addressing zoning and property restriction regulations and issues on behalf of developers and property owners, and legislative advocacy. Our experience includes:
- Obtaining judgments and settlements totaling over $7 million arising from the taking of private property for a levee enlargement;
- Obtaining a judgment for a business client ordering the refund of $2.2 million in local sales and use taxes;
- Proposing, drafting and overseeing the passage of state legislation relating to the naval architecture and marine engineering business.